Thursday 7 March 2013

A New Friend & Artist Trading Cards

At the beginning of the year I saw a blog post on Whipstitch asking if anyone would like email sewing buddies.  I signed up, and using a very scientific calculation (favourite colour - Red & number - 7) I was matched with Ginger who lives in North Carolina. 

Our first challenge was to create and exchange an Artist Trading Card.  I must confess I had to look this one up as I’d not heard of them before, but once I’d found out a bit about them, I set to making one.

This is the ATC that Ginger sent to me:

ATC

How lovely is that flower.  I’ve been reliably informed it’s a Kanzashi flower, another new technique for me to have a look at.

Here is the back of the ATC:

ATC2

Ginger also sent me a gift of Fat Quarter of fabric, in a lovely bluey colour, which I've used as the background for the photo.  Such a pretty piece of fabric and it'll be perfect for several projects I have brewing in the back of my mind.

Just in case you are interested, here is my take on the ATC:

ATC3

I stamped onto some white fabric, and used free motion embroidery, buttons and fancy machine stitches to hold all of the fabric together.  I wanted the card to reflect the two countries we lived in, so I chose red, white and blue fabric.

It was a really fun challenge, and a good way to get to know our sewing buddies. Thanks again for the card Ginger, it's now propped up on a shelf in my sewing room.

Sally
xxx