Tuesday, 12 April 2011

My First Attempt at Dyeing

I’ve had some pieces of woollen blanket knocking about for a while and I’d always intended in dyeing them to make more purses from, but hadn’t got round to buying the dye and then doing it.  Well yesterday after a lovely day at Wilton House Gardens with the children (doing my “good mother” bit!) I decided that the time was right to dye the blankets.

Here are photos of the original blankets, alongside the newly dyed ones.  Can you guess what colour dye I used?

DSCF0913 The bright red blanket is the pre-dyed above, and the cream and green is the original one below.DSCF0916

DSCF0919

(The colours are slightly off on this last photo, the original is a soft yellow and the dyed one is a muddy brown colour.)

Yep, that’s right, I used Ocean Blue!  What I hadn’t taken into account is that the dye in the bright red blanket would run and change the colour of the other blankets!  

I really like the colour that the red blanket has turned out and quite like the purpley shades of the cream/green blanket.  I not so keen on the muddy brown colour though so I think I’ll have to get another box of dye and try again.  This time leaving out the red blanket!  Will let you know how I get on.

 

Sally

xxx

3 comments:

  1. Those look great! It's going to be interesting to see what you now turn them into. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! Just remember the 'red blanket' incident was not a fail, you just learnt how not to dye with a brightly coloured blanket!

    ReplyDelete