Friday, 25 January 2013

How small is too small?

In amongst all of my other projects, I’ve been experimenting with different sized crochet hooks and different types of thread.

TinyBee

Here is my teeny tiny bumble bee.

tinybee2

You can see from the 50p next to it, it is really quite small.  I made it using embroidery thread and a 2mm hook, and although it was quite fiddly, I love the way the thread reflects the light.  A completely different look to the wool I’ve used up until now. 

Has anyone else tried crochet with anything other than wool?

Sally

xxx

2 comments:

  1. Your bumble bee is very cute I saw a book in the library yesterday for teeny tiny crochet, it looked very intriguing! Not sure if I have the delicate fingers needed some such intricate work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sally,
    I've just found your blog! Yes, my nan taught me to crochet when I was 8 using a 1mm hook and cotton embroidery thread! She used to make the most incredible doilies! Very inspiring, i was hooked!! hee hee! I prefer a 4 or 5mm these days and dk but recently I used some metallic embroidery thread and some small beads to make heathers barbie a necklace. It worked out quite nicely.
    Other materials I've crocheted with are carrier bags, fabric, wire, net curtain! Possibilities are endless, just go for it!
    Julie t
    Ps: I'm going to carry on reading through your blog now! Xx

    ReplyDelete