Wednesday 15 September 2010

Fairy Costume Tutorial - Part 2 - The Wings

Following on from yesterdays fairy costume tutorial, here is a photo of the fairy wings I've made. 

Unfortunately the photo is not a very good one, as I found it quite hard to get a decent picture of the wings, but hopefully it gives you the general idea.

To make them, you will need:  Some thickish garden wire, white netting, ribbon or coloured netting, sequins and fabric glue.

First of all I placed some string on the floor in the shape/size of wings I wanted.  This gives you an idea of how much wire you will need.  Each side of my wings are about 45 inches, so I needed about 8 feet of wire in all.  These wings are the right size for my daughter who is 6 (but is the height of an average 9 year old!!!)

Find the centre of the wire and taking each end at a time, wrap it around about 2 inches either side of the middle.  Repeat for the other end.  This should leave you with a big figure of 8 loop. 

Hopefully you can make out from this photo what I mean. 

The next step is to bend the frame into the shape of the wings.  You could also just as easily create dragon or bird wings by altering the shape of the frame.

I then cut a piece of white net large enough to go around the frame, with plenty to spare as I wanted the wings to have some gather in them.  Sew around the edge of the frame, gathering the excess net up towards the frame as you go.  You can then decorate it as I have done with sequins attached with fabric glue.  Tie the ribbon or coloured net around the middle of the wings, and let the ends hang loose.

To make them wearable, I used some extra coloured net to create two loops for my daughter to put her arms through and tied them in amongst the middle ribbon.

So all in all a quick, cheap and cheerful way of making a costume.